My name is Graham Harper and I am a third-year Ph.D. candidate at Colorado State University in the department of Mathematics currently participating in the applied mathematics and dynamical systems track. I am actively researching novel finite element methods for elliptic PDEs in 3d. I have passed all my qualifying exams (Analysis, Linear Algebra, Partial Differential Equations, Numerical Analysis).
- Colorado State University
- PhD in Applied Mathematics expected May 2020. GPA: 3.937
- Colorado State University - Pueblo
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude May 2015 with a B.S. in Mathematics, and minors in industrial engineering, honors, and leadership studies. GPA: 3.994
- Colorado State University Department of Mathematics
- Graduate Research Assistant (Fall 2015 - Present)
- Pacific Northwest National Lab - Computational Science and Mathematics Division
- Graduate Student Fellow (Summer 2017)
- Mentor: Dr. Bin Zheng
- Funding from the NSF mathematical science graduate internship program
- Colorado State University - Pueblo College of Science and Mathematics
- Peer Tutor at the Math Learning Center (August 2012 – July 2015)
- Mathematics Department Grader (August 2013 – May 2015)
- College Algebra Recitation Leader (August 2013 – May 2015)
- Peer Tutor and Mentor at the PROPEL Center (August 2012 – May 2015)
- Advanced Numerical Methods for Solving Partial Differential Equations
- Advanced Partial Differential Equations
- Functional Analysis
- Fundamentals of High Performance Computing
- Industrial Mathematics
- Ordinary Differential Equations [MATH 340] Instructor (Fall 2017, Spring 2018)
- Mathematical Algorithms I&II [MATH 151&152] Instructor (Spring 2017)
- Calculus for Biological Scientists [MATH155] Instructor (Fall 2016)
- Calculus for Physical Scientists [MATH160] Instructor (Fall 2015, Spring 2016)
- Student Teacher for Mathematics at Centennial High School (Fall 2014) (CSU-Pueblo President's Leadership Program Capstone Project)
- College Algebra [MATH121] Recitation Leader (Fall 2013 – Spring 2015)
Strong Programming Experience:
- Matlab (and its open-source clone Octave)
- C++ (and parallel libraries OpenMP, MPI)
- Wolfram Mathematica
- For specific programming projects, please view my github
- Weak Galerkin finite element methods and applications to elliptic PDEs (including reduction and parallelization)
- Contributed to the development of the DarcyLite+ C++ library
- Contributed to LinLite C++ library
- Developing a standalone library for solving finite volume flow problems in parallel as part of GRAD510
- James Liu, Simon Tavener, Zhuoran Wang, Graham Harper. A 2-field Finite Element Solver for Poroelasticity on Triangular Meshes (In preparation).
- James Liu, Simon Tavener, Graham Harper. Schur complement and parallelization of weak Galerkin finite element methods for 3-dim elliptic problems (In preparation).
- Graham Harper, James Liu, Simon Tavener, Bin Zheng, Lowest-order weak Galerkin finite element methods for linear elasticity on rectangular and brick meshes (Submitted).
- Graham Harper, James Liu, Bin Zheng. The THex algorithm and a simple Darcy solver on hexahedral meshes, Proc. Comput. Sci., 108C(2017), pp.1903--1912.
- The Lowest-order Weak Galerkin Finite Element Method for Linear Elasticity SIAM CSS 2017. October 1, 2017.
- The Lowest-order Weak Galerkin Finite Element Method for Linear Elasticity Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. August 8, 2017.
- The Lowest Order Weak Galerkin Solver for the Darcy Equation on Hexahedral Meshes SIAM FRAMSC 2017. March 4, 2017.
- Ebola, Equilibria, and Epidemiology: A Dynamical Analysis, Undergraduate Thesis Defense, Colorado State University - Pueblo, April 2015.
- Noncollision Singularities in 5-Body Newtonian Systems, Independent Study Final Presentation, Colorado State University - Pueblo, April 2014.
- A Visual Tour Through Chaos, Matlab Final Presentation, Colorado State University - Pueblo, April 2014. The final paper for the class is here
Conferences and Professional Memberships:
- SIAM CSS 2017 (Fort Collins, CO)
- CSU Greenslopes Seminar Co-Organizer (Spring 2017)
- SIAM FRAMSC 2017 (Denver, CO)
- SIAM Student Chapter Webmaster (2016 school year)
- SIAM Annual Meeting 2016 (Boston, MA)
- SIAM FRAMSC 2016 (Denver, CO)
- SIAM Student Member (Fall 2015 - Present)
- AMS Student Member (Fall 2014 - May 2015)
- Lambda Chi Alpha brother from Delta Omega chapter. Served as High Sigma (Academic Chairman) for the Spring 2015 semester.
- MAA MathFest 2014 (Portland, OR)
- MAA MathFest 2013 (Hartford, CT)
- MAA MathFest 2012 (Madison, WI)
Other Awards and Honors:
- Received a score of 20 on the 2014 Putnam Exam (top 900 scores)
- 2nd place at the US National Collegiate Mathematics Championship (August 2014, Portland, OR hosted by the ASCM and Dr. Richard Neal)
- 4th place at the US National Collegiate Mathematics Championship (August 2013, Hartford, CT hosted by the ASCM and Dr. Richard Neal)
- Outstanding Graduate Award (April 2015, Colorado State University - Pueblo Mathematics Department)
- Threlkeld Prize for Excellence Finalist (April 2015, Colorado State University - Pueblo)
Location and Office Hours
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80521