Colorado State University Department of Mathematics




General Information


How do I get my results?

You can check your placement results at any time by logging in here using your eID and selecting the "My Placement Results" link.   The Mathematics Department cannot give you results over the telephone because of federal law regarding privacy of information.


May I take the exam again?

Students who are new to the University may attempt the exam remotely one time in a non-proctored setting prior to their term of admission.  All students may take the Math Placement Exam (MPE) a total of two times on campus in a proctored setting.  To take the exam in a proctored setting, you must request it on a“walk-in” basis in the PACe Testing Center (Weber 138) during the published hours of operation.   Bring your Colorado State student ID card, and a pencil or pen.  You must use the TI-84 calculator provided by the PACe Testing Center for  “walk-in” exams.


Should I take the exam again?

If you did not prepare before taking the MPE or feel you can do better with further review, yes, you should review and take the exam again.  To study for the MPE, use the online review materials prepared by the Department of Mathematics. 


What happens if I don't do very well on the MPE?

All students taking the MPE will be placed into at least M CC130, Math in the Social Sciences.   The other entry-level math courses at Colorado State have enforced prerequisites that require you to demonstrate a greater level of proficiency on the MPE than is required for M CC130.  The entry-level math courses are:  M CC130 (Math in the Social Sciences), M CC133 (Financial Mathematics), M CC135 (Patterns of Phenomena), and M CC117 (College Algebra in Context I). Be sure to consult with your adviser before deciding that M CC130 is the right course for you.


What if M CC130 is the wrong course for me?

If you are still eligible to re-take the MPE, you can study and take the exam again. When you check your placement results, you will also find a link to the ELM Tutorial. Instructions for the ELM Tutorial are found under this link. You can complete this tutorial online and then take a proctored Prerequisite Exam in the PACe Testing Center (WB 138). The Prerequisite Exam can qualify you to register for M CC117, M CC133 and M CC135.  



How do I get the credit I earned on the MPE?

You must take the MPE on campus in the proctored PACe Testing Center (WB 138) to qualify for course credit by exam. If you qualify for course credit, you must register for it to guarantee it will appear on your transcript.  The registration numbers used for placement credit are not published in the Class Schedule.  You may request these section ID numbers in the PACe Office (Weber 137) so you can register for the placement credit you have earned.  



What Your Placement Results Mean


CLEARED to register for: M CC130

You have met the prerequisite for only this entry-level math course.  You may either register for M CC130, Math in the Social Sciences, re-take the MPE, or complete the ELM Tutorial and take the Prerequisite Exam to try to improve your placement status. M CC130 will not satisfy the degree requirements for many majors. You should talk with your adviser or consult the University Catalog to determine if this course is appropriate for your program of study.



CLEARED to register for: M CC117, M CC130, M CC133, M CC135

You have met the prerequisite for all of the entry-level math courses.  You may either register for one of these courses, or re-take the MPE to try to improve your placement status.




You scored at or above minimally acceptable levels in these courses.  You do not qualify for credit in the courses listed with this result.  However, “placed out of” courses do satisfy prerequisites for other University courses, so you are eligible to register for any course that requires one of these courses as a prerequisite. You are also eligible to register for and complete for credit any course that is included in your list of "placed out of" courses.




Your score indicates competence comparable to that expected of students who have completed these courses.  As a result, you have qualified for University credit in the courses listed.  You must register for this placement credit (see above), and the grade recorded will be an “S”.  Credit earned by placement can be used to satisfy the AUCC mathematics requirement.



What should you register for?

You should consult with your academic adviser or check the requirements for your degree program as listed in the University Catalog to determine which course(s) are most appropriate for you.  Be sure to complete the 3-credit AUCC mathematics requirement early in your degree program.  Don’t get penalized for not having finished this requirement by the time you have earned 60 total credits toward your degree. ( Click here for more information.)  

[ Back to Placement Home Page ]

Last modified on: June 1, 2007